January safety focus continues this week as we look at Carbon Monoxide detectors.


You may associate carbon monoxide poisoning with your granny’s old gas fire! This is not the only appliance that could release carbon monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide (also known as CO) is a colourless, odourless poisonous gas and is a common, yet preventable, cause of death from poisoning.

Apparently, on average between 1 and 2 people die each year in Ireland from unintentional CO poisoning in the home in incidents related to domestic heating or other fossil fuel installations in the home (i.e. excluding the inhalation of smoke from fires).

Carbon Monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of the following appliances in your home-fire, cooker, dryer, gas fire??????


I came across this video that points out in a simple way where the CO alarm(s) should be fitted (YouTube Where to install carbon monoxide or CO alarms in the home)

If you have Carbon monoxide alarm(s) fitted then be sure to check the battery…Simply press the test button and the alarm should go off. If not, the battery needs to be replaced.

If you have x,y,z (Graham to fill) appliances in your home, then ensure you have a a Carbon Monoxide alarm fitted.

Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss fitting carbon monoxide alarms in your home (use same contact details as first blog)

1.One alarm may not be enough. 

2. Make sure you can hear the alarm in various rooms in your home.

3. Test the alarm regularly.

4. Regularly inspect and maintain appliances, vents, flues and chimneys.